UPDATE as of March 17, 2020: I have made the difficult, but in my opinion necessary, decision to close my studio and not go forward with any photography sessions at this time. Safety is always my top priority and this pandemic has reached the point where I feel this is the responsible thing to do. I have made arrangements with all sessions over the next few weeks, and will continue to do so as this health crisis continues over time. I will reopen when it is safe for all involved to do so. I am happy to take incoming inquiries, give information about a session with me, and do phone consultations, but am not booking set dates at this time. Stay safe everyone! – Lyndsey
I am not one to panic over getting sick, but I want you to know that I take your family, and your new baby’s health very seriously. With the media reporting on COVID-19, the novel coronavirus, every 5 minutes, I understand you may have heightened concerns regarding the health of your new baby. I want to assure you that wellness, cleanliness and the safety of your baby is always a priority for me, but I am especially committed at this time to taking every step to keep you and your family healthy, and do my part in preventing the spread of this virus. Here are the ways in which I am committed to doing so:
- Directly before every session I do a thorough hand washing with soap and water, as well as if needed throughout the session. I have hand sanitizer within reach that I use often throughout a session. You are also welcome to use the sanitizer as often as you would like.
- My studio space is cleaned regularly, and especially during this time all surfaces are being wiped down with disinfectant after each session. All fabrics and anything that comes into contact with a baby is thoroughly washed and/or sanitized. Fabrics and outfits are machine or hand washed, items like rugs, that are unable to be washed are steam cleaned, and hard surfaces are cleaned with a disinfectant.
- As of writing this post, there are no plans for in-studio mini sessions or any scenario where 2 families will be into the studio at the same time or even the same day. This allows for the thorough cleaning, and reduced contact with other people for your newborn baby or young child. Depending on the length of time this virus is a concern to the public, if any mini sessions are to be scheduled at my studio, timelines would be set up in a way to still allow for cleaning and safety.
- I personally am doing my best to stay informed about the virus and steps for prevention through reputable and informed sources like the World Health Organization, Ontario Public Health and Durham Region Public Health.
- In my daily life I am mindful and doing my best to follow prevention guidelines.
This is a good time to remind all clients to please reschedule if you or your family members are sick, feeling unwell and/or have a fever. Individuals should be fever-free for at least 24 hours without the aid of medications such as Tylenol or Advil. While at many times we think a little cough and sneezing is just a simple cold, I ask that you either reschedule, or choose to not to include photos with the sick person at this time. Give me a call and we can chat about the situation and what makes the most sense if someone is sick. If I, or anyone in my immediate family, have any of the same symptoms, I too will be rescheduling or referring to another photographer. I would much rather capture beautiful images of a baby a couple weeks older, than risk any baby’s health!
If you or someone you have been in contact with has recently traveled to a high-risk area as identified by public health, I ask you to wait a 2 week period prior to your session.
Finally, I would like to remind you that I also offer in-home lifestyle newborn sessions. The resulting photos are different from those that would be taken at my studio, but still beautiful! If you are concerned about your baby’s health, and would be more comfortable in your home, I would be happy to do a lifestyle session with you. Here is a blog post I wrote to show the differences between a studio session and an in-home lifestyle session with me. If this is something you are interested in, let’s chat about it!
None of this is written to cause you concern or panic, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I am mindful and doing my best to be proactive in this uncertain time. I will update this post as needed if the situation changes or recommendations surrounding prevention changes. If you are a client, or someone considering booking a session, don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions, or to let me know what I can do to help you feel comfortable. Be safe everyone!